www.marilynshistoricalnovels.com

Marilyn Friesen

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

http://www.goodebooks.net/biblicalhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1983717819

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fun Things to Do With a Grandchild


OK, it was a really, really hot day. A sweltering day and I didn't think I could push the lawn mower one more time around the lawn, or anywhere else for that matter. Painting the floor in the playhouse was a cool and inviting prospect in comparison. After all said playhouse was nestled among the trees in our nearby woods.
    This blonde moment of having my little granddaughter help me paint that tiny floor didn't come upon me suddenly, like because of too much sun. (No excuses!) I had prepared for it. There had been hanging in my closet a dress that was given to me but very rarely worn. Why not make it into a paint-dress for Keisha? That will definitely soothe my conscience about getting rid of it. When I presented it to her she seemed impressed, but now the challenges have just begun.
     I'm not the type to take the easier, more sensible route I guess, and we were given this bee-oo-til bluish-green paint at a garage sale because the can had a leak in it. Hey, the paint will match the rustic look of the walls, just perfectly, so I thought, but I did have the option of using brand new blue paint. Did I take it? Naww. Not me. Keisha looked on with interest as I tried--and tried-- to pry off that rusted lid. She even thought it wouldn't likely come off. But I was determined, so punctured the lid with a nail and trusty hammer, and poured the goop out. Yeah, it was kinda lumpy, but Keisha and I practiced our counting while stirring it. Eventually, it was ...well, usable, and still beautiful.
    I started off Keisha in one corner of that floor which isn't too much bigger than our one-room chicken house and with strict instructions not to get any on the walls, confidently started in another area. So far so good. Or is it? She was merrily painting in front of her, meaning she was painting herself into a corner. I came to her rescue and managed to paint the corner before it needed to be tromped stickily across and started her in another area. Hm, my instructions on where to paint weren't getting through, and the same thing happened all over again. Twice. I gladly let her paint the deck since she couldn't back us into any corner over there, but oops, oops, oops! I had forgotten to trim the edge of the floor of the deck with masking tape so there was a distinctly greenish, uneven border on her side of the deck!
    We're done, right? And it actually looks quite beautiful. But look at Keisha! She has acquired the loveliest pair of smooth, fancy lady's gloves in a lovely turquoise? color.  And oh, dear she has acquired some fine eye shadow in the same color under (only?!) one eye. What will her mother say? Into the tub, girl, and let's be sure not to leave a paint trail in the 'real' house, okay?
Books available from this author are available from:www.iuniverse.com/ - United States

No comments :

Post a Comment