www.marilynshistoricalnovels.com

Marilyn Friesen

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

http://www.goodebooks.net/biblicalhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1983717819

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What an Incredibly Different Day

24 Nisan
April 24th
Dear Diary;
Oh, my, oh my, what a commotion! What a surprise! What an incredibly different day! I woke up with a start. There seemed to be a tremendous uproar going on
.
My first (irrational) thought was that every mule in the city had gathered just outside our door to bray us a raucous good morning. But it wasn’t only the mules! There was the sound of an unusual number of men shouting commands and what not all to each other… in a foreign tongue, yet! That caused me to shoot out of bed in my slip of a night garment and fly to the window. What I saw caused me to fumble frantically into my newest Shabbat robe and try to hastily restore a semblance of order to my unruly tresses. While I was thus occupied Yosef, already dressed, was striding to the door with an almost stern expression on his chiseled yet good looking face. As my heart pounded into my throat, or so it seemed, I watched as Yosef greeted some foreign strangers who were mounted on the most magnificently bedecked camels ever seen. The whole street and the one beyond were overflowing with their personal entourage.
I shrank back in trembling amazement, wondering; what could this mean?Without a doubt this royal party had come from a great distance. Yosef most courteously beckoned them to come in. I am certain he must have felt like bowing to them, decked as they were in such royal apparel but it is our custom to bow to no man; only Yahweh.
I had quickly smoothed out my tangles and was arranging my finest veil around my face when the door opened. I slipped out of our curtained
off sleeping chamber, trying somewhat ineffectively, it felt, to don a robe of gracious dignity to greet these powerful magi. Immediately the leader stepped up to me and clasped my hands in his. “We have come to worship the newborn king,” he said simply, “For we have seen His star in the east.”

I felt the color wax and wane in my face while my heart thudded with joy. Yea, yea, that is why they came. It is not about us. It is about Him.
After courteously excusing myself I went to get the baby who was sleepy eyed but smiling. All three of the men reached out to him, although I doubt if any of them had held babies much before. They changed their minds and in humble adoration, dropped to their knees instead. It brought tears to my eyes to see these men of power and wealth bowing low before the Child in my arms. Yosef brought me a wooden stool and I sat down with the Baby in my arms. Yeshua reached out and touched the head of one of the men. He may have just been entranced by the glittering jewels on his crown, but it seemed like such a touch of blessing, and I felt a lump forming in my throat. My own eyes were moist when I saw the tears streaming down the tanned and weathered cheeks of those exceedingly influential men. They reverently took the Babe in their arms and He in turn would pat their cheeks, or tug a little at the front of their vesture.
Yeshua has never felt a fear of strangers, and this time was no exception. He was quiet in their arms, yet cheerful. I could tell they could not get enough of him. It reminded me anew what a priceless treasure and responsibility was in our keeping.
They stayed around awhile, quietly talking of their journey although I could tell their eyes rarely roved from off the face of Yeshua. It was my impression; although they never said so in so many words that one was from Ethiopia, probably a descendant of Queen Magda of Sheba; another one was almost certainly from Parthia; one of the royalties from among our Israelite brethren who reside there, and the other an Arabian, whose ancestor was Abraham’s son Ishmael. It awes me to think that a star brought them all together and led them directly to our humble abode here in Judea. I did not glean many details about who they were because they were not inclined to boast of their own credentials while basking in the Shekinah of the Holy Son of God! I leaned slightly forward, enthralled, as they discussed many different prophe
cies that related to the Mashiach and speculated how His life might proceed from here. Sitting in the synagogue and hearing the most revered rabbi speak could not have made a deeper impression on me than that early morning visit. Yosef was able to ask scholarly questions, which is a consolation because it is not becoming for a woman to be inquisitive in the presence of a man other than her husband, and I am eager to learn more about Yeshua’s future role. As they lingered I began to wonder about my housewifely duty to show gracious hospitality to our noble guests and their staff who waited outdoors. I knew they must be weary and worn, and those tending the animals and personal effects would be feeling the rising heat of the day Shall I slip out and offer them cups of cold water? But then I recalled! I had not even fetched any yet. And even if I had both our amphora (jugs) filled to the brim it would not suffice for all the men to get more than a swallow each! And what about the poor, dumb creatures? Ah. Such a crowd must have their own water supply, hopefully freshly refilled. While my mind was thus wandering, the conversation turned to other things, and then during a lull, the tallest of the three noble gentlemen rose and went to the door. He beckoned to some of the servants who bowed low several times while carrying some magnificent gifts.A look of humility touched Yosef’s features as they unwrapped the gifts before our Son who is the new born King. What priceless treasures they were, and symbolic also. Did the gold represent kingliness? The frankincense, which I believe comes from a tree in Africa, is probably a reminder of His future religious authority and the beautiful fragrance of His holy nature, but the myrrh, the myrrh
; I did not even want to look at it. It is used in the embalming of dead bodies! Surely it has other uses, unknown to me! Is He going to be cut off in the prime of life? Surely, surely not! Is that why Shimon told me a sword would pierce through my own soul also? I subconsciously linked my fingers with Yosef’s while the gifts were being presented then quietly waited as the wise men backed, bowing low, towards the entrance. It was high noon by the time the last donkey boy trotted away behind the final pack animal. We stood in the doorway and watched in silence. Hardly had those at the end of the train entered the next street when all of our Aleichem (neighbours) poured out of their houses and gawked after them. Before they had a chance to rush over and ask us a myriad of questions
,
Yosef firmly shut the door and put the bolt in place to give us some privacy. Neither of us was very hungry so I laid out a simple snack for our lunch, and then I settled down for a nap with Yeshua in my arms. In my dreams there were scenes of those men in their colourful garments as well as the spectacular gifts for which I was trying to find appropriate hiding places. I was interrupted by a knock at the door. I had never seen Lydia and Ruth so excited and agitated before! Lydia typically is more excitable but it was Ruth ’s anxiety that really caught my attention.” What did those rich men want?” Ruth demanded.
       "Everyone is talking about it!” Lydia interrupted. “Auntie Eunice said she counted at least twenty five servants before she lost track because of the jostling of the animals!”
“Why did they come to your door?” Ruth beseeched. “Are they spies or something? I thought Parthia was at peace with Rome! But what would they want with you? You!” As I tried to explain the best I could why they came, Lydia’s eyes grew wider and wider
, but Ruth clenched her fists against her mouth. I could see that Lydia was ready to bolt and spread the fabulous story to anyone and every one who would listen.
         I grabbed her sleeve.” Don’t go Lydia. Don’t!”
          She whirled back; "Why not?"
The book is available from Amazon and several other places. The Life of Jesus Through His Mother's Eyes by Marilyn Friesen

No comments :

Post a Comment