www.marilynshistoricalnovels.com

Marilyn Friesen

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

http://www.goodebooks.net/biblicalhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1983717819

Monday, December 23, 2013

Before the First Christmas



I had been wandering around in the marketplace, feeling bewildered and lost
because of my future mother-in-law's disapproval, when Imma (Mother) took me gently by the elbow and led me back home.

"We will return home, yes? Hanalei will make our purchases."

It seemed to take us a long time to wend our way through the host of hot, irritable pedestrians. but the congestion eventually thinned, and we soon trudged down the narrow, winding path in our own neighborhood.

I slumped on our front stoop, and buried my head in my arms while Imma went to search for Abba. Hanalei came and sat down beside me, but I did not care to talk. She gently laid her hand on my leg, and we leaned into each other without having much to say.

A shadow fell across the path, and Abba's  (father) deep voice instructed Hana to do the shopping. She gracefully arose, and the thought crossed my mind how tall and slender she was, just like Aunt Elisheva. I am small, with softly rounded curves, more like Imma. We both have large, dark eyes, though, and both of ours must have looked troubled at the time. I was left alone to face my father, although Imma hovered in the background.

"Mary'am, look at me."
My gaze lifted upwards, but it was hard to keep it steady; his face was so stern. He took a deep breath and expelled it slowly while crossing his arms in front of him.My gaze lifted upwards, but it was hard to keep it steady since his face was so stern. He took a long breath and expelled it slowly while crossing his arms in front of himself.

"Come. We must have a talk."The petals of the almond tree scattered around me when I brushed past them. I could not allow myself to think of the memories they stirred up. Abba, (Daddy) leaned against the inside wall of the barn, and I stood beside our goat, apprehensively stroking the smooth, white hair on her nose. Imma (Mom) was once again hovering somewhere near her husband; my father.



"Daughter, are you thinking clearly?" I uttered a little gasp and wondered what he could be getting at. To my apprehensive heart, it seemed to take so long for him to continue his thought.

"Your mother and I have know for a long time how deeply you love El' Elohim. (God) and we appreciate it." He paused and Imma stepped forward to rest her hand on his arm. "I believe you would long to be the mother of the Mashiach but yeled, (child,) do you not realize how impossible that would be? Your longing has turned into a flight of the imagination which is leaving your betrothed family feeling very disturbed."

"Oh, but Abba! It is true!" He held up his hand to silence me.

No comments :

Post a Comment