www.marilynshistoricalnovels.com

Marilyn Friesen

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

http://www.goodebooks.net/biblicalhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1983717819

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Traveling Under Saskatchewan Skies


   What an unexpected diversion. Here this little old grannie whose circle consists of going to the library, going to the stores,  and puttering around in the garden gets a chance to go on a road trip! Sounds like fun!! Hmm. Only problem, Hubby isn't going along, and I start to get lonely even before we leave!

  Another 'problem" pokes her smiling face into the picture. I babysit for a sweet little grand daughter once in awhile. Shall I go? Papa says he can manage...Really? Why not.
    And off we go...But the road gets long...really long. When this Grandma travels it is usually with a hubby that relinquishes the wheel only for a half an hour or so now and then. She has been thrust into a different scenario. The daughter who asked her to go along to Saskatchewan prefers to read out loud to taking the wheel. So guess who drives??  The miles hum by as we shed a few tears over a heart-rending book called the Martyrs Song. The only time Audrey had to quit reading for awhile was when the noise of the rain and thunder outshouted her. Fortunately, it was a short enough book that we managed to finish it.
   Fortunately also that Audrey was reading. This Grammie aint all that familiar with driving for miles down rain-slicked highways where the wind shield wipers can hardly keep up with the downpour. She probably would have been a whole lot more nervous without the distraction.
   Once when it was actually sunny and dry they stopped to change drivers on a long, lonely, quiet road and oops! a trucker quickly stopped. My heart sped up for a bit. I mean here we are two obviously femininely dressed women...alone, and well...I decided to advance towards him with a smile on my face AND look him straight in the eye. Whew, he proved to be friendly. He just wanted to help. With a friendly wave and a smile, we were soon on our way again. It's sure nice that there are still nice people out there.
    We are visiting in a little town with the unusual name of Spiritwood, right now, and a cafe by the homey name of Papa Rene is beckoning me. That's where Audrey and her friend (alias kindred spirit) are eating, and I was invited to join them.

1 comment :

  1. I'm not at all surprised that you landed up driving and Audrey landed up reading. ;) I'd have thought I had it made, since I don't mind driving and can't read to myself without getting motion sick.

    ReplyDelete