www.marilynshistoricalnovels.com

Marilyn Friesen

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

http://www.goodebooks.net/biblicalhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1983717819

Thursday, July 19, 2012

When Samuel Was a Little Boy

Hit's been only Eli an' me for a long, long time. I have a  tiny memory of my Mama holding me, and crying then  handing me to this big, big man with a long, snowy white beard. Then she turned away, and was gone. I remember reaching out my arms and screaming, "Mama!Mama!"  but she just kept walking. Guess that isn't such a tiny memory after all. Even now it brings tears to my eyes. I sorta remember Eli holding me an' tryin' to comfort me, but I was inconsolable, they say, not that I ever knew such a long word back in those days. I think I cried myself to sleep for more nights than I care to remember. Eli was kind to me, an' his big boys mostly ignored me. Yeah, come to think of it, I remember more to. Seems like every day of my life Mama had told me I was special, that I was God's chosen child and would be set apart for a special work. Never once had it occured to me--I was just a little guy then--that I would have to be separated from my Mama and Papa to learn how to do this work.
   But, hey, that's not what is keeping me awake tonight. It is something much scarier.
      Like I said, I've been with Priest Eli for a long time, and I gradually learned the ropes; you know, help him with all the chores aroun' the place. I also learned that lotsa people were not livin' right. Least ways not that way my Mama and yes, Priest Eli, also, had told me they oughta live. That worried me some. Couldn't figure out why Mama would leave her little boy in such an evil environment. Knew she loved me alot 'cuz she would always bring with her a special garment that had to have taken a long time to make. That was sure a comfort, an' about the time I had growed outta it, she would manage to come back again with a nice new one.
    I'm layin' here wide-eyed 'cuz I heard God talking. He has such a nice, kind voice that I wasn't the least bit afraid, at first,  but oh, boy, did he ever have a stern message for me to bring to my boss.
  I'm supposed to tell him, among other stuff, that he is going to 'judge the house of Eli forever' for all the bad things they have done. I'm scared to do it, and scared not to. Wouldn't want God to judge Papa's house forever 'cuz his little boy wasn't faithful.
   Well, I guess I better get to sleep. Dawn will be coming soon enough, Sure hope I can be faithful like Mama 'spects me to be. Yeah, good night. Thanks for listenin'.

1 comment :

  1. It puts a completely different slant on the story of Samuel but very realistic.

    ReplyDelete