www.marilynshistoricalnovels.com

Marilyn Friesen

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

http://www.goodebooks.net/biblicalhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1983717819

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Behave Yourself! This is a 1870's School! (Barkerville Style)

Come with me while we sneak into a historical school room...
A rather austere looking teacher marched to the door.

"Ah, I see we have more students. I will have to mark you tardy. The school began one-half hour ago. Ladies help yourselves to a bonnet from the basket, and all of you quietly take your seats. No, no! Don't sit down! Everyone stand to your feet. Good morning girls and boys."
  "Good morning..."
  "Good morning, madam! Let's try that again."
   "Much better. Now you may be seated. Boys avert your faces to the wall while the ladies remove their bonnets and no peeking. There. Now we will have fingernail inspection."
   Oh, oh, I thought, curling my fingers slightly under the palms of my hands. My gardening fingers will never pass inspection. Surely the dimness will hide the tinge of gray under my nails? Surely she won't inspect those in the overflow hall? Whew! She didn't. One 'young man' was berated for his dirty nails. And now, now for the head examinations; and this wasn't to see how smart we were. This was to see if we had lice. Lice! Imagine!"
   "Good, no lice was found today. How would we have treated it would have been found? If you have the correct answer, rise to your feet AFTER I call upon you," the strident voice continued," and state your name. Always answer in a complete sentence and conclude with the word, Madam. Yes? Your name."
   "Stephen."
   "Go on Master Stephen."
   "When the children would go home at night, their parents would wash their heads with kerosene, and comb their hair with a fine tooth comb."
   "Madam."
    "Madam."
    The school continued, and I found I was sitting by a personable 'young lady' by the name of Mary Jane who quickly became the teacher's pet because of her enthusiastic response on two occasions.
    It was the most enlightening experience. The most memorable I suppose (tongue in cheek, here) is how thoroughly we were drilled to say 'Madam' this and 'Madam' that.
 To think "we" were taught to sing She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain for when Queen Victoria would arrive! (All actions included, not even leaving out "scratch!scratch!" regarding the silk pajamas!) Wouldn't the solemn, dignified lady have been quite scandalized? (Smiley face, here!)
    The school was eventually dismissed, and I won't bore --or disappoint-- you with more details. Besides, I am getting hungry.
  If you like it, pass it on. If not let me know.
 

Books by Marilyn Friesen are available @ www.prairieviewpress.com

Talk about history!! That reminds me, a brand new biography will be coming out soon! It's by the above author so keep checking back!

2 comments :

  1. I'd love to live a day (or a month or two) in 1870 but the next best thing is visiting a living history museum.

    ReplyDelete