www.marilynshistoricalnovels.com

Marilyn Friesen

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

http://www.goodebooks.net/biblicalhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1983717819

Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Heart Belongs in Deer Flats



Alice is still on the plane flying to Switzerland. Did any girl ever have a heart quite so heavy?
Sequel to Two Mothers, Twin Daughters


          The tall, slender flight attendant returned with two cookies in a small paper bag.
“Danke,” Alice mumbled avoiding her eyes. She nibbled slowly at one of the cookies. It was dry. So different from the fresh-from-the-oven ones she had arranged on a bright tea towel just two days before.
 The future looked bleak, far bleaker than the clouds that surrounded them. Why, why, why did I ever take the flight back? But could I have refused? It would have broken Mum—Margaret’s-- heart, and brought shame on the family. How could they have lifted up their head among their neighbours? And could I have adjusted to living in a Mennonite farming community? It seems so simple from my viewpoint, but eventually everyone would be used to me being there; the novelty would have worn off, but I wouldn’t really fit in because my background is so totally different from theirs. Oh, what a mess I am in. Alice wished she could shut off these thoughts. They had gone round and round in her mind for hours already, even before the plane had lifted off from Canadian soil. It feels like I don’t have anything to look forward to, any more. My heart belongs in Deer Flats
bookstore.iuniverse.com/

No comments :

Post a Comment